Direct to content
Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland

Embassy of Finland, Warsaw: Visas and entry permits to Finland


Ul. Fr. Chopina 4/8
00-559 Warszawa, Poland
Tel: +48 22 598 9500, Fax: +48 22 621 3442
Polski | Suomi | Svenska | English |  |  | Instagram

Entry to Finland


Customer service

Tel: +48-22-598 9500
Fax: +48-22-621 3442, 629 3442

Customer Service:
Mon-Fri 9.00-12.00

Contact the embassy in advance for applying a residence permit

Please kindly make an appointment with the Embassy when applying for a residence permit to Finland, tel. + 48 22 598 9500.

A Visa to visit Finland

Citizens of Poland, like other EU-citizens, do not need visa for travelling to Finland.
In connection with the Schengen-agreement the Embassy only grants visas in exceptional cases.

Schengen visa

Finland joined the Schengen agreement on March 25, 2001.

  • Schengen countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
  • Schengen countries agreed about the rules concerning the movement of third-country nationals in their territories and decided which countries' citizens are required to present a visa. Furthermore, each Schengen State has decided which travel documents citizens of different third countries have to present upon entering the country.

A visa issued by one Schengen State entitles its holder to travel and stay in territories of all Schengen States. Nationals of a country subject to a visa requirement must have a visa when travelling to the territory of Schengen States. If a traveller has a residence permit issued by one of the Schengen States, he or she does not need a visa while travelling in the Schengen territory.

Residence permit for EU-citizens

Citizens of EU countries, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland can stay in Finland for a period of three months without applying for a residence permit. As of 1 January 2017, register your right of residence at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service. More information available at the website of the Finnish Immigration Service.

Residence permits for non-EU citizens

Citizens of all other countries, who stay in Finland longer than three months (for work or study), must apply for a residence permit through the Embassy of Finland before arrival in Finland.

Applying for a residence permit for studies (Finnish Immigration Service)

Permit for berry, fruit and vegetable pickers

Only berry, fruit and vegetable pickers, whose employment relationship lasts for a maximum of three months, may work in Finland without a residence permit. If they come from a country whose citizens are required to have a visa, they must obtain one from a Finnish embassy. More information on the visa requirement is available on the Ministry for Foreign Affairs website.

Seasonal worker's visa

Normally a residence permit is needed to be allowed to work in Finland. However, for seasonal work you do not need a residence permit but a visa.

From 1 January 2018 seasonal work done in Finland will be governed by the Seasonal Work Act based on the new EU Directive on seasonal workers. The Seasonal Work Act does not apply to picking of wild berries because this does not involve an employment relationship. Picking of wild berries will continue to take place in accordance with a letter of intent and the advance clearance procedure.

A visa for seasonal work in Finland is applied for at a mission of Finland. It cannot be applied for at a mission of any other Schengen state.  The visa is intended for seasonal work in Finland only. The visa can be granted for up to three months within a period of six months (90 days in any 180-day period).

The regular processing times set out in the Visa Code apply to the processing of seasonal visas. A permit for engaging in seasonal work is granted for working for one or more designated employers and a seasonal worker may not change the employer during the seasonal work period. A visa granted for seasonal work contains the additional information “Seasonal Work FI” and its validity period starts on the date when the employment relationship starts.

Which branches of the seasonal act are applicable?

  • Sectors in the agricultural sector: Crop and livestock farming and related services, excluding hunting and service activities; Forestry
  • The tourism industry: Passenger transport by sea; Inland waterway passenger transport; Accommodation and nutrition activities; Tour operators; Booking services, tour guide services and others; Services for Performing Arts; Fun and theme park activities; Skiing centers

Only job placement in the aforementioned areas will not solve whether or not the seasonal act is applicable. Furthermore, the work must be seasonal, depending on the season, so that the seasonal act is applicable.

The Seasonal Act does not apply when a person resides in an EU Member State or is in the EU's free movement. In this case, a foreigner must apply for a residence permit for a worker (see

© Embassy of Finland, Warsaw | About this site | Contact information